Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hippocratic Crystal Balls?

There is a local medical group that is flooding my radio airwaves with commercials that indicate that they can see into our medical futures. They are claiming to have some sort of Hippocratic crystal ball.   There is no question that well-educated physicians can anticipate much of what may happen to my body, if say, I don't eat well, or if I smoke filterless Camels for 20 years. 

What they can't do, nor will they ever be able to do, is to anticipate just what God has in store for me and for you.

But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, 
the purposes of his heart through all generations. 
Psalm 33:11 

In his heart a man plans his course, 
but the LORD determines his steps. 
Proverbs 16:9

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. 
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, 
and I will listen to you. 
Jeremiah 29:11-12

It is in that truth, that I find comfort.

No comments: