Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Would you use your coffin as your luggage?

I'm reading a book by Mark Batterson called Wild Goose Chase and in the Chapter 7 (Coming out of the Cage of Fear) he talks about a group of early 20th century missionaries called "one way missionaries". They were called this because they packed all of their earthly belongings into coffins and purchased one way tickets when they departed for the mission field. They knew they would never return home.

The story is told of one such missionary named A.W. Milne who felt called to a tribe of headhunters in the New Hebrides. All the other missionaries to this tribe had been martyred but that didn't keep Milne from chasing the Wild Goose. He lived among the tribe for 35 years and never returned home. When the tribe buried him, they wrote the following epitaph on his tombstone:  
"When he came there was no light. 
When he left there was no darkness."

How will my epitaph read?  How about yours?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Amazing how so few words can say so much. I'd much rather have something like this on my tombstone than a simple dash...

Anonymous said...

Apparently I can't even spell my own name right for a comment...not looking good for my tombstone if I can spell my own name!