Monday, October 29, 2007

From the mouths of babes...

Last night I got to tuck my seven year old Emily into bed and as we finished praying together, she told me she wanted to "see God". She shared how she wondered what He looks like. I told her that the best place to look is at Jesus.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created..." Colossians 1:15-16. Or as my friends in the South say, "Jesus is God with skin on."

Emily also asked me "What if we are wrong?" I could have gone on and on about the philosophical idea of Pascal's Wager but decided to encourage her to keep seeking God and asking Him to not only show himself to her, but to also assure her that He is real.

That encouragement works not only for a first grader but also for each of us...