Friday, July 18, 2008

Habakkuk 1

I was reflecting back on last week's message from Habakkuk 1 while looking forward to hearing Lathan help us through the "dip" this weekend. I was struck by this verse from the Message:

God, you're from eternity, aren't you?
Holy God, we aren't going to die, are we?
God, you chose Babylonians for your judgment work?
Rock-Solid God, you gave them the job of discipline?
But you can't be serious!
You can't condone evil!
So why don't you do something about this?
Why are you silent now?
Habakkuk 1:12-13


Habakkuk knows God and this depth of knowledge allows him to ask questions with comfort. The juxtaposition of his knowing God and his questioning God is all too familiar. He has obviously logged the divine relational hours in order to know God well. Sometimes I wonder if my questions are not based on my knowing God but on my ignorance of his ways. Hmm...

No comments: