Saturday, July 19, 2008

Run, Swim, Run

Hello, my name is Todd and I'm a casual triathlete.


Today, I embarked on my first event that involved an open ocean swim. It was set up like this: 1k run on the sand, 1k swim in the ocean, and then a 5k run on the boardwalk. My goal was to complete this event in under 60 minutes and I missed that mark by just 1 minute and 11 seconds. I did not come anywhere close to finishing on the podium but I also was not bringing up the rear. I got pretty much what I trained for.

That adage of "you get what you train for" certainly works for triathlons, but it also fits perfectly for our spiritual lives. In my mind I want to be a spiritual giant but too often I spiritually train to be just a regular guy who happens to know Jesus. Paul reminds us that our spiritual training is important.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.
I Corinthians 9:24-26


I left the race this morning with a renewed vision for my physical training and this Scripture encourages me to rethink my spiritual training as well.

No comments: