Friday, September 28, 2007

"Chuck" Reinhold, 1972-2007

I did not get to Ben's Chili Bowl yesterday. I got to be a part of something bigger and better.

I attended a funeral. No, not a funeral, a celebration. The celebration started at noon and went for over two hours. By the time it concluded, I made the call to avoid traffic instead of satisfying a craving for Road Food. The celebration was filled with music that reflected God and with words that celebrated His work in the life of a man who died far too young. I was struck time and time again as I listened to Chuck's friends comment on his loyalty and his compassion and his vast knowledge of sports.

I was challenged by the first two character traits and with the third, I figured it was too late for me to become a human sports almanac like Chuck.

Chuck was the guy that his friends felt like they needed to protect but he was also the guy who was probably the most Christ-like. Lee Corder commented how Chuck lived out each of the beattitudes of Matthew 5 and that now he is enjoying the fruit of each one of them. He is being comforted, He is satisfied, etc.

There is a small part of me that is disappointed at not getting by Ben's Chili Bowl yesterday, but there is a much bigger part of me that is thankful to have had time to reflect on what God did in one man's life and to consider what He desires to build into mine. I am grateful for Chuck's example.