Thursday, November 15, 2007

2 Valuable Parenting Tips

1. Shut Off the TV.
Last night, the electricity on my block went out, so we did what any other suburban family would do. We ordered pizza.

Then, after dinner, we hung out and talked by candlelight. We laughed and joked and even sang and danced. It was a regular variety show at our home for a few hours. If we had electricity, that same amount of time would have been spent channel surfing. I was convicted by that thought and will now work at bringing the Erickson Variety Hour back on a consistent basis.

2. Buy Christmas Gifts Wisely.
I laughed out loud when I saw this painful picture...

It reminds me that our gifts for our kids must be safe for them physically and appropriate for them emotionally and spiritually.

Let me encourage you (and myself) to not overspend on your kids and to not get them all that they ask for. That might be counterintuitive to your desires but probably fits right into your budget. It is more important for our kids to know about being satisfied with what they have than to have it all. When you do your buying, make sure you are getting just the right gift.

No comments: