Thursday, June 12, 2008

Recalculating

The Ericksons are late coming to the table on this one, but we just recently bought a GPS. We bought the no frills Garmin that has already paid for itself with Maureen's recent trip to a wedding in Richmond (no one got lost and everyone made it home).

In the short time that we have had this tech toy, I have been reminded of my own penchant for rebellion (see Genesis 3). The GPS wants me to go one route, but I often think I know better, and will choose another route. This then forces the GPS unit to "recalculate" in order to get me back on track. No matter how far off course I am, my gracious Garmin Nuvi 200 is willing to figure out how I can get to where I need to be. 

God does the same thing for us. No matter how far off course we stray, He is willing to guide us back to Himself. He shows us his divine recalculating in His interaction with Peter. He displays the grace that he extends when we wander as we observe the history of the Israelites. And He gives us a glimpse of his welcoming us back on course in the account of the Prodigal Son.

Are you on the route that God has for you, or do you think you know better? 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Ture Todd, God is so patient while we spin our wheels and do things our own way trying to do it without him. Thank goodness He's not like we are, impatient and imperfect...awwesome post!

We have a low-end Tom-Tom...jumped on that bandwagon last year..after years of sitting in traffic on freeways...trying to get to ball games, beaches, vacations..you name it: a semi has jack-knifed on our freeway. There have been numerous heated exchanges of: " I don't know if we should bail and try the less traveled country road...the map is from 1984!!! this road didn't exist back then!" This past weekend, Dear Hubby also named Tom, was wanting to charge Tom-Tom...so I had to listen to the British comedian Mikey voice option YELL at me while driving thru Leesburg, because Mikey wanted me to go home--I wanted to go to outlet mall...with hubby and daughter. Needless to say, I've changed Tom-Tom's voice to be Jane...she's calm and British...and CALMLY tells you to turn left in 300 yards. No yelling. No screaming to "Stop, Go Back where you came from, you are going the wrong way!" I explained to Human Tom, that not only did Mikey do that, he did that as well...and I only had one hubby, but while driving...I had 2. Jane and I are quite good friends, I think we'll go shopping soon...I would like to go to Steve and Barry's I'm sure she can get me there without yelling, because she knows a fab sale when she sees one.

Unknown said...

i love it, jane that is- i have yet to name mine and although she got me to a wedding on time we have not yet fully bonded, still aquaitances!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mo...just wait. Soon, you'll be talking about your Garmin, and you'll nickname it. She'll become your friend. How about Gigi? Just wait till she gets you to that new store, restaurant, coffee shop, etc. The ability to jump off freeway and know that this little box of wires is programed to get me where I'm supposed to go is somewhat freeing. Oh, I predict you'll be great friends. Especially if you are directionally challenged like I am. You'll fight Todd to keep Gigi in your car. :) No fights over who has custondy of Tom-Tom yet, but I've called Tom at work a little confused, and Tom's called me lost as well. A happy home, may just be a 2GPS home. ;)